What is FFPAI?
FFPAI is a convenient acronym comprising the first five initials
of the Federation of Family Physicians' Associations of India, an organization to
which Medical Associations of General Practitioners/Family Physicians from different
parts of India are affiliated as UNITS. FFPAI, for practical purpose,
is Indian Organization of Family Doctors.
Structure of FFPAI
FFPAI is made up of Medical Associations of General Practitioners/Family
Physicians of India concerned with the academic and other aspects of general family
practice. Beginning with 16 member units in 1986, there are now 40 member units
in India. In all, the total membership of the member organizations of FFPAI
is over 8000 general practitioners/family physicians.
FFPAI represents and acts as an advocate for its constituent member
at national and international level where it interacts with world bodies concerned
with healthcare and primary care, to uplift the standards of family physicians and
What is FFPAI’s mission?
The mission of FFPAI is to improve the quality of life of the peoples
of India through defining and promoting its values, and by fostering and maintaining
high standards of care in general practice/family medicine by promoting personal,
comprehensive and continuing care for the individual in the context of the family
and the community, encouraging and supporting the development of academic associations
of general practitioners/family physicians, providing a forum of exchange of knowledge
and information between member units of general practitioners/family physicians,
and representing the educational, research and service provision activities of general
practitioners/family physicians before other world organizations and forums concerned
with health and medical care.
Back To Top
FFPAI's Aims and Objectives
- To maintain the honour and dignity of Medical Profession in general and Family Physicians
- To uphold the interest of Family Physicians and promote co-operation among the general
- To establish an academy of Family Physicians for post graduate education in family
medicine in recognized Universities in India.
- To take up research work in family practice/general practice.
- To make representations at Government level, to have effective voice of family physician
to be heard at all levels of policy making with regard to Medical Education.
- To organize medical/blood donations camps as a regular feature to help the masses
in rural areas and help in relief works during epidemics and natural calamities.
- To conduct educational campaigns among the people in matter of public health, hygiene
- To start Institute of Family Practice at the unit/association level to update family
physician with relevant advances in the medical field.
Who runs FFPAI?
- A Central Council comprising the representatives of member units and the Office
Bearers of FFPAI governs FFPAI and meets once
in a year. An Executive Committee meets 3 times a year to conduct the affairs of
the organization in accordance with the memorandum, rules and regulations.
- Central Council Membership of FFPAI Each unit has to nominate 1,
2 or 3 eligible members of their unit as central council members depending upon
their total membership.
What does FFPAI do?
There are many ways in which FFPAI has impact on the world of
- Scientific activities, finance, bylaws, publications and communications.
- Working groups on the classification of problems encountered in general family practice,
rural practice, quality assurance, informatics, the environment, communications
and publications, research, health care in general and several aspects of family
- These committees and groups comprise of experienced family doctors who meet periodically
and in between work by correspondence. Over the years they have carried out significant
Relations with Other Bodies
FFPAI has close relations with other Health Organizations with
similar objectives. Making family medical practice and education more relevant to
people's needs, and the contribution of the family doctor to nation's primary healthcare
objectives are prime concerns of FFPAI. We are in the process of
getting affiliated to WONCA the world organization of family doctors.
FFPAI publishes its newsletter, FFPAI Medical
- FFPAI's future plan for next five years is to further its prime
objective of improving the health of the people of the country, through fostering
and maintaining high standards of primary care by family physicians.
- FFPAI recognizes the importance of under- & post- graduate training
in family practice and Continuing Medical Education for family physicians In India
and is determined to spare no efforts to continually strive for improvement.
- FFPAI believes that all developing nations can afford to adopt
the concept of family medicine for all its primary health care. By so doing, the
quality of health care can be improved substantially. Efforts are in progress to
avail post graduate degree course in family medicine with a recognised university.
- In particular, FFPAI wishes to encourage and support the development
of academic organizations of family physicians. In the last few years, FFPAI
has accelerated the process of creating a country-wide network of family physicians
committed to the central role of general family practice in health care systems
and the advancement of the discipline of family medicine.
Back To Top